Tuesday, March 17, 2009

DAY 5- SXSW SMILES PART 2

<HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY>
So day 1 of SxSW SMILES was amazing! While we didn't get the big donations rolling, the fact that over 300 people stopped by to share WHAT MAKES YOU SMILE. We got great pictures and had some amazing conversations. Many people are interested in using their blogs and social networks to help us help more children. It was so great that people were bummed they didn't get to come by so we're doing it again this morning.

The action and response was so amazing that we're in talks with SxSW officials to make it an official SxSW event next year with a higher profile and maybe even incorporate a stage for the music festival. I can see it now: 'Ladies and Gentleman introducing Pearl Jam live from the Smile Stage". I'll speak to them in May to see what we can make happen.

I sat down for an adult beverage with Scott Goldstein from the Obama campaign, he has a very similar background as me coming from a rock & roll field and working in club promotions and radio and now for politics and ngo's. He was really into what we're doing and told me about a mjor donor in DC that is a huge advocate for us yet only donates online. I'll be emailing him later this week as he may want to get involved in SxSW SMILES for next year. Scott's coming by this morning to set up a meet.

Also last night I met the CEO of Convio and their Social Media Diva who asked me for an interview for her social media non profit blog. She has a great understanding of our needs and we were mutually excited to meet and chat. She'll be coming by today as well to chat more and set up some follow up.

It has been an exhausting, interesting, entertaining and inspiring week and I'm sure today will prove just as stimulating. I'm off for a quick coffee before the last day, please check out the amazing pics from tomorrow (don't worry, upon my return i will "edit" the photos) but for now have a look at the inspiring, goofy and controversial things that make people smile:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34364357@N00/sets/72157614768396373

No comments:

Post a Comment